I have to admit that only really great stir fry recipes appeal to me. While I love the fresh vegetables and lean meats that come with stir fry recipes, I am not a huge fan of oriental cooking. Still, when I came across a chicken stir fry recipes recently, I decided to try making quinoa stir fry. Im always up for a new way of cooking quinoa and am eager to try quinoa chicken recipes. (Especially low fat chicken recipes which stir fry almost always is!)
I got the inspiration for this dish from Jillian Michaels new book, The Master Your Metabolism Cookbook. If you havent already gotten it, its a great cookbook that I highly recommend! (It has two great quinoa recipes to try. I love the breakfast Quinoa Crunch! Yummm!) The original stir fry recipe does not have as much kick and used rice (horrors!) rather than quinoa. I really liked the crunchiness that the quinoa added to this stir fry recipe. I think is is much better than the original would have been. (Not to mention healthier on most counts!)
So, give this chicken and vegetable stir fry recipe a shot! Who knows it just may become one of your favorite quinoa recipes!
Quinoa Chicken Stir Fry with Asparagus, Red Pepper and Spinach
For the Quinoa:
- 1 T Olive Oil
- 1 cup rinsed quinoa
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1.5 cups chicken broth
For the Chicken and Stir Fry:
- 2 T rice wine vinegar
- 1 T plus 2 tsp sesame oil
- 1 T lime juice
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 tsp red chiles, chopped finely
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken
- 1 T Braggs Amino Acids
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 1/2 T organic virgin coconut oil
- 6 minced garlic cloves
- 1 T Fresh Ginger, grated
- 1/2 red onion, sliced
- 1 Red Bell pepper, sliced thin
- 1 Green Bell pepper, sliced thin
- 8 ounces asparagus, chopped into 1/2 pieces
- 2/3 cup chicken broth
- 5 oz fresh spinach, chopped
To make quinoa:
- Heat oil over medium heat. Add rinsed quinoa and cook for 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add chicken broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and cook covered for 15-18 minutes.
- Allow to sit covered for 5 minutes. Set aside.
To Make Stir Fry
- Whisk together 1 T vinegar, 1 T sesame oil, lime juice, 1/2 tsp honey and chilies. Add the chopped chicken and marinate for at least 30 minutes and up to 4 hours.
- Whisk together Braggs, 1 T vinegar, 2 tsp sesame oil, 1 tsp honey, 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes. This is your stir fry sauce. Set aside.
- Heat your wok set or a large pan over medium high heat. Ad coconut oil. (Be careful not to get too hot because coconut oil has a low smoking point.) Once melted at garlic and ginger, stir for 10 second and add onion. Cook fro 5 minutes. Add chicken and cook for 2 minutes. Add green pepper, red pepper and asparagus and cook for 1 minute.
- Add in chicken broth. Cover and cook for 4 minutes. Add spinach, quinoa and stir fry sauce. Toss well. Remove from heat.